Monday, October 18, 2010

Show and Tell Week: Homemade Hurricanes

My Homemade Hurricanes are the second items I'm featuring in my Show and Tell Week for entertaining and serving pieces.  (Be sure to join in by sharing a photo of your favorite entertaining piece on Facebook! See bottom of post for details.)

Dollar Store Hurricanes

I saw a great tutorial on how to make these hurricanes on Decor Chick using glass vases and candlestick holders from Dollar Tree, and I'm so happy I tried making two for myself a few weeks ago.  At around $2 each, you can't beat how good they look!  I filled this one with dried pinto beans ($1 per bag) and a candle, and I think it looks great in my entryway.  These would make great party centerpieces, and you can switch out the type of dried beans for a different color and look.

Dollar Tree Hurricane Homemade

I did something similar for my mantle by adding candy corn and a little pumpkin in the other hurricane for Halloween.

Halloween Decorations Hurricane
 
TIP:  To save on candy when filling large jars for parties, add some clear plastic cups upside down in your container to create a hollow area. It's a little hard to see the cup in the picture below, but that's what my hurricane looked like before I poured the candy corn in it.

Save on Candy in Large Jars
 
If you were doing a candy buffet at a party, these hurricanes would be great.  For variety you could shop around for different sized containers to glue on top of the candlesticks.  My blog friend Staci at Lizard & Ladybug came up with some cute variations below.  I love how she tied ribbon around the base for added detail!

This project was the first time I'd used glass glue before, so one of my hurricanes looks a little messy on the bottom.  The glue was in the same kind of bottle as super glue, so I thought it would be a gel like that. Nope! It's a runny liquid, so I squirted out way too much on my first try. I knew what to expect on the second hurricane, and it turned out perfectly.

Stay tuned for more of my favorite entertaining and serving pieces all week!

Don't forget to join in the fun on the Belly Feathers Facebook page by sharing a photo of your favorite entertaining or serving piece and a few lines about why you love it by Friday.  On Saturday, I'll draw the name of someone who shares a photo to win a special surprise.  Submit as many photos as you want for extra chances to win!

Show and Tell Week Details:
Sunday (10/17/2010) - Friday (10 /22/2010 midnight Central Time)
Share a picture and a few lines about your entertaining piece at facebook.com/BellyFeathers
If you don't use Facebook, email your photo and lines to Betsy@BellyFeathers.com



1 comment:

  1. Hey Betsy those look fantastic! What a great idea to use a cup inside when you use candy! Thank you so much for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete


All contents Creative Commons licensed. Betsy Pruitt of Belly Feathers.

Please give credit to Betsy Pruitt of Belly Feathers and provide a link back to the page containing the content when you use ideas, text, and photos from this site. Thanks!

Full Disclosure: If you see a link to Amazon on this blog, it is probably a link through their affiliate program, meaning I would receive a teeny tiny commission on any sales from that link. Please know I only write about items that I think would interest my readers and never for commission on these items.